We live in an age where we not only want to feel good and be healthy, we also want to look at it. That’s why today we have many products and methods on how to achieve this, with many available to us, so that we can take proper care of our skin. But what about natural remedies? The interest in natural remedies and their properties keeps growing every day. There are more and more blogs and articles on how they can protect us from the effects that can damage our skin, like skin conditions and external toxins. So let’s talk about one of the most famous ones – rice water – and all the benefits it can have on our skin, and whether you can use rice water for bad skin.
What Is Rice Water?
No, it’s not a fancy term for a cream or a pill. It’s just what the name says. The water that’s left from boiling or soaking rice. A cloudy white liquid that has vitamins and minerals in abundance.
The Benefits Of Rice Water For Bad Skin
Rice water has been claimed to help with many conditions and also help improve the health of skin and hair. Now, there isn’t much scientific evidence to support these claims, but the ones that are available, are not enough to confirm this with a 100% certainty. But, this shouldn’t discourage you from giving it a try. After all, inconclusive doesn’t mean ineffective. Here are some of the benefits of rice water.
- Rice water can lighten the skin – this is a method that has been long practiced by Asian women. Applying rice water to your skin can help you reduce the effects of hyperpigmentation, and even out the coloration of your skin.
- Toner properties – this is one of the properties most beauty bloggers mention. They say it’s the best skin toner out there – it can help your skin retain its moisture and elasticity, keeping it nice and tight.
- Rice water can make your skin shiny – It can add some more shine to your skin, something which many try to achieve with makeup. Well, by applying rice water, you can make your skin shiny naturally.
- It can heal acne – since it has anti-inflammatory properties, it can help reduce breakouts on your face and other parts of your body. Acne can be caused by hormonal imbalance or bacteria that attack our pores. Either way, they cause our body to react to these, causing an inflammation, which rice water can reduce.
- Treat sunburn – got burned? You can simply add some rice water to a little spray bottle and spray your body as much as you need when the nasty burning and pain start. Rice water can help soothe the pain and provide it with the necessary nutrients to start regenerating.
The Benefits Of Rice Water for Hair
Women in Asia have used rice water to improve their hair, there are women known for their long beautiful hair in Japan and some parts of China. The thing they have in common? They used rice water to strengthen their hair and enable it to grow to great length without breaking or drying up. Rice water can also be used as:
- Hair conditioner – rice water can be used as a hair conditioner, one that does not contain chemicals and that will not irritate your scalp. Simply add rice water after you have washed your hair with shampoo. Give it a minute or two, then rinse it off.
- Rice water reduces hair splitting – rice water can help your long hair keep its integrity. Rich with amino acids that are essential to keeping the hair smooth and soft, rice water can be just the thing you need to revitalize your hair. Simply soak your hair ends into rice water and leave them in it for up to 15 minutes. Wash them after that.
- Add shine – rice water can make your hair look shiny and have a strong color.
Besides all the benefits of using rice water as a topical treatment, there are also some if you decide to drink it.
- A good source of energy – rice is rich in carbs, which are our main source of energy. Drink a glass in the morning and you will kickstart your metabolism with those easy to digest carbs that will provide you with an almost immediate boost.
- Rice water helps regulate your body temperature – by being a good source of nutrients that are easy for the body to absorb, rice water is a good option if you want to stay hydrated and not overheat.
Ways To Use Rice For Bad Skin
It’s really easy to make, and it doesn’t take a lot of time. There are three ways that you can make it.
- Soaked – this is the type of rice water you get from just soaking the rice in water, leaving it for half an hour or more in it.
- Cooked – this is the type that is left behind after you cook rice.
- Fermented – after you cook the rice, the water that is left behind can be left to ferment overnight and then be used.
How to make soaked and fermented rice water:
- First, make sure you rinse it well with water, to remove any impurities, and then let it soak in water for 30 minutes. Give it a good swirl every 5-6 minutes, until the water turns cloudy white. After the 30 minutes are up, strain the rice from the water and put the water in a jar. If you want soaked rice water, now it’s ready to use.
- If you are going for fermented, the soaked rice water needs to be left at room temperature for a day, or until it turns slightly sour. The fermentation process can take from 24 to 48 hours, depending on the room temperature.
Keep in mind that some people boil the fermented water, but others don’t. This makes no difference, and it has to do with personal preference. You can give both a try. Also, fermented rice can be very potent, so diluting it with a cup or two of warm water before use is a good idea. Fermented rice is amazing for dry and less oily types of hair.
How to make cooked rice water:
- Rinse the rice, and then add it to a bit more water than you would use for normal cooking. After it’s done, strain the rice and you are all set. Just like fermented rice water, the cooked version is very concentrated and potent, so we recommend diluting it with a cup of water. This type is better if you plan on continuous use, as it can be stored in fridges and will stay good for up to a week.
Rice water is definitely something you should take into consideration. If you haven’t noticed, we didn’t say anything about side effects. Why? There aren’t any! Rice water is completely safe to use, as it’s natural and doesn’t have any chemicals. There is no harm in giving this product a chance. Of course, the fact there is a lack of scientific evidence means that you probably shouldn’t get your hopes up and expect any miracles. Instead, try and implement it in your daily routine, either as a topical treatment or as a drink, and you should see some results after the first week or two.